Using outboard effects on C series mixer

Concert Series, RX Series, and XP Series Mixers

Moderator: Audio1

Slushee

Using outboard effects on C series mixer

Postby Slushee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Greetings!

I just purchased a Carvin C2040, and somehow that now magically qualifies me (bass player) as the band sound engineer. :lol:

So I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get answers to.

1. Is there a way to disable the onboard effects on the C2040, and use the effects 1 and effects 2 knobs (do you call them busses??) on each channel to control the level of outboard effects...... instead of on-board effects? If so, how would I do this?

2. Assuming the answer to #1 is no, is there any way at all to route multiple channels through a single outboard effects processor? I know I can use the insert on each channel, but if I go that route I'll need a processor for each channel, and I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. What I'm trying to do is route the lead vocals and 2 of our background vocals through a single Helicon vocal processor. I don't mind applying the same effect (in this case reverb) to all three channels. I'm just not sure how to do it in a manner that doesn't require me to have an outboard processor for each channel. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Kevin Gault
Gold Carvinite

Re: Using outboard effects on C series mixer

Postby Kevin Gault » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi Slushee, and congratulations on your new mixer!

Good news- you can easily route your effects sends to outboard effects and disable the internal processors (or use them as monitor effects if you prefer). Your channel FX1 & FX2 controls route to the master FX1 & FX2 controls, then to both the internal processors and the FX 1&2 outs. You can control the level of internal effects to either the master bus or monitors by using the Monitor & Return controls in the master effects processor section of your mixer. There is also a handy "mute" switch for each processor which disengages them entirely. For your outboard effects you can connect to the EFF1 & EFF2 outputs in the upper right hand corner of the mixing desk, and use the stereo channels (or any channel you prefer) to return them to the master mix. I don't know if you have a manual for your mixer but here is a link where you can get a .pdf download for your convenience:

http://carvinimages.com/manuals/c2040-mixer-book.pdf

If you have any other questions let me know, I'm always here to help in any way I can. - Moderator
Forum Moderator
Carvin Amplifiers endorser since 2010:
V3, V3M, MB12, S600B, PM15, FX2, UX100BP, PM900, Carvin CT424

Slushee

Postby Slushee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks!

Yes, I do have the manual, but to a beginner most of it is Greek. I think I understand your post, and will head down into the studio later today and give it a try. The part that I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around is the part where I bring the signal back into the stereo channels. When you do that what do the stereo channel faders control? Assuming the level of the effect??? I'll play around with it and post back up here if I have any other questions.

Thanks for the guidance.

Kevin Gault
Gold Carvinite

Postby Kevin Gault » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 am

Slushee wrote:The part that I'm having difficulty wrapping my mind around is the part where I bring the signal back into the stereo channels. When you do that what do the stereo channel faders control? Assuming the level of the effect???

Exactly :) You are bringing the effects signal back into the board through a channel and the fader will control the level of the "effected" signal. You can also EQ your effects or feed them into your monitors this way. I'll keep an eye out in case you have any further questions as you configure your system.
Forum Moderator
Carvin Amplifiers endorser since 2010:
V3, V3M, MB12, S600B, PM15, FX2, UX100BP, PM900, Carvin CT424

Return to “Mixers”