my new (to me) v3mc

Guitar & Bass Amplifiers, Enclosures, Tubes and Solid-State

Moderator: Audio1

phreddybee

my new (to me) v3mc

Postby phreddybee » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:43 am

just got my used v3mc amp I purchased thru guitar center. since it was out-of-state, I didn't have a chance to play it. it arrived in great shape, and I've played for a little while now. so far I am is impressed.

the amp is a bit noisy, so I am thinking of doing re-tube. I've done this on other tube amps I have, so I know how to do it.

I just want to see if any of you have changed pre-amp tubes with some different outcomes. I would like, as I said, to quiet down the noise, but would also like a little more gradual gain control over channels 1 and 2- maybe put in a 5751 or a 12at7.

if you have any recommended tubes, I would love to hear from you.

Kevin Gault
Gold Carvinite

Re: my new (to me) v3mc

Postby Kevin Gault » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Congratulations on your new amp! The V3M is one of my all-time favorites. I hope you really enjoy it!

The most critical tube for noise is the very first preamp stage (farthest from the power tubes). If you want a broader resolution on your channel gains try using an ultra low-noise 12AX7 with moderate (rather than super high) gain. I always have great luck with an Electro Harmonix 12AX7-EH in there (in fact in most of the preamp tube positions). There is also a very nice quiet smooth Mullard 12AX7 reissue that New Sensor offers. The amp has enough gain for days with even a medium gain tube, and by using lower gain preamp tubes you get more control of the clean-to-distortion range of the gain controls. Also make sure to explore the channel voicing switches (Ch 3 has its own special ones btw) and the EQX switches. If you didn't get a manual you can download it from Carvin Audio's support page.
Forum Moderator
Carvin Amplifiers endorser since 2010:
V3, V3M, MB12, S600B, PM15, FX2, UX100BP, PM900, Carvin CT424

phreddybee

Postby phreddybee » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:01 am

thanks kevin. I was off work today, so I had some time to bond with my new baby. I have a slew of pre-amp tubes around, so I spent an hour playing around with them. I got it to the point where I am enjoying the tones, and quieted the amp down a bit. so I'm going to try it for a while, and maybe plop in an eminence lil texas speaker I had set aside for another project.

i'll keep you updated-thanks again

Kevin Gault
Gold Carvinite

Postby Kevin Gault » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Any time! Have fun :)
Forum Moderator
Carvin Amplifiers endorser since 2010:
V3, V3M, MB12, S600B, PM15, FX2, UX100BP, PM900, Carvin CT424

phreddybee

Postby phreddybee » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:19 pm

just got the new speaker in and I'm waiting for my power tubes to arrive. while I had the chassis out, I looked inside to check the bypass switch for checking bias. boy is it tight! a little close for the probes to get in, so I'm probably going to order one of those in line tube testers that I can hook up to my multimeter. I'm just too worried with my fumble fingers that I would short something out.

I will say this- I really like this little amp. very portable-even lighter with the new speaker. I have 3 very useable channels, so I don't need a lot of pedals. very happy so far

Return to “Carvin Amplifiers”