Legacy 3 buzzing - Reverb

Legacy, V3, Vintage, X100B and SX Guitars Amplifiers & Enclosures

Moderator: Audio1

Muchiutti

Legacy 3 buzzing - Reverb

Postby Muchiutti » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi!
I own an Carvin Legacy 3 100W head.

Yesterday was playing at low volume, then a loud buzz started at a level that cover the sound.
The buzz goes away when the reverb pot is zeroed and I can play normaly. The buzz come back if the reverb pot is at any point different of zero, even the reverb is on or off.
I have some electronic skills but could not found a schematic for this amp and I have no idea what is causing this problem. Can you give me any information that help me?

Spudmunkey
Gold Carvinite

Re: Legacy 3 buzzing - Reverb

Postby Spudmunkey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 pm

First step in trouble-shooting any guitar amp, whether it be tube or solid state, is making sure everything's clean with a non-conductive contact cleaner. That includes the pots and switches.

Next would be to make sure any and all cables that can be unplugged from inside the amp are unplugged, are re-seated, and snug.

Beyond that, others will need to chime in...

Muchiutti

Postby Muchiutti » Thu May 24, 2018 2:32 pm

No luck. I believe only replacing the Reverb card can solve this issue...
The major problem is: Where can i find Reverb card? (11880 v3.3)

Some users in this forum had yours defective reverb cards replaced by Carvin for free.

I need help and information to solve this... Tks

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon May 28, 2018 4:19 pm

It could be micro solder crack, or a connector on the reverb card. However, I have heard of the reverb going on these heads, as well as MIDI switching. The more complex, the more chances for failure. That is one reason why I like the original Legacy, though it lacks the third channel drive, and master volume, of the 3.

I'm not well-versed on the internal card; never had my amp apart. The V3m uses the same card, I believe, and possibly other, more recent Carvin amps, as they pretty much switched to the digital version. There was talk that the module itself was also the same as found in their FX processor, but tamed to only provide reverb. If I had the equipment to pick apart and analyze, I could give a proper answer. As for the Legacy series in general, the FX loop driver is prone to overheating and failing over time. The rest of the amp is pretty solidly built.

Worst case scenario; you can't use the integral reverb, and need a pedal/unit to provide that.
Apocalyptic scenario; the amp fails, and you want another. Get a Legacy 1 or 2. The 2 is the last popular, as it supposedly sounds different. I haven't heard one. Or, get the preamp pedal, run a reverb pedal after it, and then a power amp.

Basically, the reverb/MIDI potential failure is the only caveat I have about the L3. The rest of the amp is built just like the original, which has obviously survived.

Muchiutti

Postby Muchiutti » Mon May 28, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks for your help.
The problem is with no doubt the reverb card. Using a signal follower I traced the buzz to a CI on that card...
Any suggestions how/where to buy a new one?

Return to “Guitar Amplifiers”