V3m problems

Legacy, V3, Vintage, X100B and SX Guitars Amplifiers & Enclosures

Moderator: Audio1

SeatownSeven

Re: V3m problems

Postby SeatownSeven » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:07 am

Wow thanks for the responses - I will look at the tubes during shutdown as Emeric's suggestion. No I didn't reach back out to the tech's because we had lengthy discussions including wave files sent for them to listen to prior to sending the unit back for repair. I really thought I'd get their undivided attention and would get a "gold star" bullet proof unit in return (that old Carvin rep lurking again).

I'll definitely try all of the options as per Kevin's suggestions - btw I already have several times. Noting the Minstrels comments re the ribbon wires I agree they don't seem to make an effective contact and going point to point probably isn't even possible. Right now there are so many little things adding up I'm not gaining any confidence that this can be dealt with permanently and judging by the forum responses I'm not alone in feeling that these amps just has quality issues through and through, oddly this makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one disappointed with my Carvin amp experience.

PS: cleaned and ran fx thru loop with abysmal results I'm going to double check all cables and fx for problems but not convinced. Cleaning jacks worked briefly with no fx in loop though.

Please keep the suggestions coming no matter how overwhelming I appreciate all of the insights and the more user comments the better I'd like to know how many V3m owners are experiencing quality/reliability issues. Thanks again!

jnoel64
Silver Carvinite

Postby jnoel64 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:46 pm

I had the same issue with a new "blem" V3M I bought off eBay. I wound up sending the amp back to Carvin. Even though it was a blem, it was still under warranty, and they wound up sending me a new amp. Hope that's not the case for yours.

2Plus2isChicken
Bronze Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:46 pm

I hope you get this issue fixed. I really like my V3M. I've had it about a year and it's probably my favorite amp I own.

HallwayMinstrel

Postby HallwayMinstrel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm

I may try some "chopsticking" this weekend on my V3M.

Chopsticking is where you open up the amp, run the amp live, play through it (prerecorded loop is easiest), and use a wooden stick to move cables/wires around to see if the sound cuts in and out. It can help find intermittent problems.

The problem is severely high voltages (450V or more) that are instantly deadly, so only try this if you know how to work on live amps.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
12 SH550CE - S22's
12 VT16 Head
13 Bolt V - S60A's
13 212E 2x12 - Vintage30's Ipswich, England
13 Son's Bolt Kit
16 VT50 Head
16 TLB60 - AP11's
16 1983 X60B 60-watt 6L6, spring reverb
16 Used VT16 Combo-spring reverb
17 VLD1

Kevin Gault
Gold Carvinite

Postby Kevin Gault » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:09 am

HallwayMinstrel wrote:I may try some "chopsticking" this weekend on my V3M.

Chopsticking is where you open up the amp, run the amp live, play through it (prerecorded loop is easiest), and use a wooden stick to move cables/wires around to see if the sound cuts in and out. It can help find intermittent problems.

The problem is severely high voltages (450V or more) that are instantly deadly, so only try this if you know how to work on live amps.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Definitely not unless you are trained to do it safely. Like the song goes, "I got one hand in my pocket..."
Same 3/16" wooden dowel (mine's about 12" long with some insulating shrink tubing on the end I hold onto) makes a good probe for the 'disturbance test' and that is actually a pretty good way to find a mechanical intermittent (bad solder joint, bad ribbon cable or jumper, etc).
Forum Moderator
Carvin Amplifiers endorser since 2010:
V3, V3M, MB12, S600B, PM15, FX2, UX100BP, PM900, Carvin CT424

Mycle812
Gold Carvinite

Postby Mycle812 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:00 pm

I had the exact same problem with my full sized V-3 about a year after I bought it new. I tried the exact same fixes to no avail.
It really was a mystery until Emeric suggested that I disconnect all of the computer connectors inside and clean the contacts and re-seat them real good and make sure they were tight.
That was several years ago and it has never given me an once of concern since. It even came back to what I would consider louder than it ever was before leading me to believe I had always had a bit of a problem there.
This may not be YOUR issue but I would definitely start looking there if you open it up.

Guitargeek6298

Postby Guitargeek6298 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Mycle812 wrote:I had the exact same problem with my full sized V-3 about a year after I bought it new. I tried the exact same fixes to no avail.
It really was a mystery until Emeric suggested that I disconnect all of the computer connectors inside and clean the contacts and re-seat them real good and make sure they were tight.
That was several years ago and it has never given me an once of concern since. It even came back to what I would consider louder than it ever was before leading me to believe I had always had a bit of a problem there.
This may not be YOUR issue but I would definitely start looking there if you open it up.

I have an x100b reissue, I was having effects loop issues recently, and Emeric suggested the same thing. I soaked the end of the ribbon cable with DeOxit, and the effects loop has been problem free since.

Seems like Carvin needs to get a handle on their ribbon cables. Even though my issue has been fixed, it was recent enough that I still won't gig the amp, because I'm worried that it could crop up again.

SeatownSeven

Postby SeatownSeven » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:54 am

Pretty much tried everything suggested and get only momentary relief. Please keep suggestions coming...!!!

Kevin Gault
Gold Carvinite

Postby Kevin Gault » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:18 pm

If you've tried all the suggestions and continue to have 'intermittent fading' issues I'll bet you have a bad solder joint in there somewhere. It is really common with well-used amps to develop microscopic (or close to it) stress cracks in the solder joints where components are soldered to the PCB. These can be really hard to spot. When I did amp repairs I used a 5 diopter magnifying light to search for them. If you can't spot them (sometimes just a bare line is visible) you can have your tech go through and re-solder all the joints on the PCB (or just the ones near jacks, pots, terminals, heavy components). Sometimes that's faster than looking. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Forum Moderator
Carvin Amplifiers endorser since 2010:
V3, V3M, MB12, S600B, PM15, FX2, UX100BP, PM900, Carvin CT424

UnexplodedCow
Bronze Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Do we know what type of solder Carvin is using? I've seen far more cracking and poor joints where lead-free solder is used. I've repaired plenty of "broken," items just by replacing the lead-free stuff with 60/40, not just limited to amps, but virtually everything on a board these days (From TVs and computers to rotary tools).

Return to “Guitar Amplifiers”