AG300 Schematic/Repair

AG series Acoustic Guitar Amplifiers & Enclosures

Moderator: Audio1

maxxfield1997

AG300 Schematic/Repair

Postby maxxfield1997 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 am

I have two AG300s and one is making the noise for which it was sent in for repair twice before. I emailed them last week and a salesperson was supposed to have contacted me about replacing it. No one ever contacted me. Today I found out they are going out of business. I need this amp to be in good working order. This is very disappointing. Does anyone have any ideas on getting it repaired or even getting a schematic for it?

rdleake

Re: AG300 Schematic/Repair

Postby rdleake » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:53 pm

maxxfield1997,
I feel your pain! I bought an AG300 last year and it's the best sounding amp I've ever had for my style of play. It worked for 3 weeks and then failed to power up. I tried to contact Carvin and learned that they had gone belly-up the PREVIOUS DAY! I finally managed to get a response from them through a Carvin Facebook post that mentioned the stress they were under and asked me to be patient, but I've not been able to get any further response from them. I have exhausted every search avenue I could come up with to find a schematic. I have been buying Carvin products for more than 30 years and this has been a HUGE disappointment! There must be more of these AG300s out there that have failed and somewhere on the planet there must be some spare circuit boards for them or at least a schematic. A friend of mine who is a guitar-amp repair genius let my AG300 sit on his bench for several weeks but was completely stumped by the switching power supply design and returned it to me untouched. I am in non-profit work and unable to replace this amp so I am now amp-less. I keep hoping that someone somewhere will come up with a way to correct the problem with these temporarily great-sounding amps that have become $500 doorstops!

maxxfield1997

Postby maxxfield1997 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:30 pm

rdleake, I finally did get a response from someone at Carvin and they said that they were in the process of switching servers and they would email me when the schematic was up for download. So, there is hope.

LowCBassStudio

Postby LowCBassStudio » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:45 am

I "fixed" my bass student's AG300 (squealing/whistling noise) by cleaning speaker connectors and board connectors with deoxit and reassembling -- so far so good. The noise is probably coming from the pwr supply.

My plan for if/when the amp fries out is to keep the awesome speaker cabinet, remove the amp/pwr supply junk and get one of those micro-heads for under $200 to set on top, or mount inside the open cavity somehow.

Return to “Acoustic Amplifiers”